I started by taking all of the stuff out and setting it on the counter, then here are some steps you can follow next.
- Set aside items you used this morning or will use tonight (or any of their refills)
- Pull out the tools & implements - brushes, razors, etc.
- Separate by IN or ON (does it go IN my body or ON my body)
- Separate by usage: skin / hair / teeth / eyes / cosmetics
- Anything with an expiration date needs to be examined
- I don't know if shampoo expires, so just try it out on the strands of hair that you are willing to sacrifice
- Ask yourself questions like...
- "Will I ever use this massage oil from that freaky girl in college?"
- "Do I need 13 new replacement toothbrushes?"
- "How long ago was Pert Plus popular?"
- Remember: When in doubt, throw it out.
Tips to keep it ship-shape
- Use up what you have before you buy more - apply that to everything from lotions to lubricants
- Next time you need to clean out that crack between the stove & the counter, go grab one of those toothbrushes - or better yet, use your daily one and get out a new one for your teeth.
- You can still steal those travel-size items from hotels, but donate them to the troops or to a shelter